September 21, 2008

Chinese Cultures-The Confucian Analects(LunYu)-2

[1] THE MASTER said: !°In governing, cleave to good; as the north star holds his place, and themultitude of stars revolve upon him.
[2] The Master said: !°To sum up the three hundred songs in a word, they are free from evil thought.
[3] The Master said: !°Guide the people by law, subdue them by punishment; they may shun crime, butwill be void of shame. Guide them by example, subdue them by courtesy; they will learn shame, and come to be good.!
[4] The Master said: !°At fifteen, I was bent on study; at thirty, I could stand; at forty, doubts ceased; atfifty, I understood the laws of Heaven; at sixty, my ears obeyed me; at seventy, I could do as my heart lusted, and never swerve from right.!
[5] Meng Yi asked the duty of a son. The Master said: !°Obedience.!1 was driving him, the Master said: !°Meng-sun2 asked me the duty of a son; I As Fan Ch!aihanswered !(R)Obedience.! !°What did ye mean?!± said Fan Ch!a !°To serve our parents with courtesy whilst they live,!± said the Master; !°to bury them with acourtesy when they die; and to worship them with all courtesy.!
[6] Meng Wu asked the duty of a son. The Master said: !°What weighs on your father and mother is concern for your health.
[7] Tzu-yu 3 asked the duty of a son. The Master said: !°To-day a man is called dutiful if he keep his father and mother. But we keepboth our dogs and horses, and unless we honour parents, is it not all one?!
[8] Tzu-hsia asked the duty of a son. The Master said: !°Our manner is the hard part. For the young to be a stay in toil, and leave thewine and cakes to their elders, is this to fulfil their duty?![9] The Master said: !°If I talk all day to Hui,4 like a dullard, he never stops me. But when he is gone, if I pry into his life, I find he can do what I say. No, Hui is no dullard.!
[10] The Master said: !°Look at a man!ˉs acts; watch his motives; find out what pleases him: can the maevade you? Can the man evade you?!
[11] The Master said: !°Who keeps the old akindle and adds new knowledge is fitted to be a teacher.
[12] The Master said: !°A gentleman is not a vessel.
[13] Tzu-kung asked, What is a gentleman? The Master said: !°He puts words into deed first, and sorts what he says to the deed.
[14] The Master said: !°A gentleman is broad and fair: the vulgar are biassed and petty.

No comments: