September 29, 2008

Chinese Cultures-The Confucian Analects(LunYu)-11

[1] THE MASTER said: !°Those who led the way in courtesy and music are deemed rude, and elegant thelater school of courtesy and music. My wont is to follow the leaders.!
[2] The Master said: !°None of the men who were with me in Ch!aen or Ts!aai come any more to door! Of noble life were Yen Y¨1an, Min Tzu-ch!aien, Jan Po-niu, and Chung-kung; Tsai Wo anTzu-kung were the talkers; statesmen Jan Yu and Chi-lu. Tzu-yu and Tzu-hsia were men of culture.!
[3] The Master said: !°I get no help from Hui.1 No word I say but delights him!!
[4] The Master said: !°How good a son was Min Tzu-ch!aien! In all that parents and brethren said ohim no hole was picked.!
[5] Nan Jung would thrice repeat !°The sceptre white.!2 Confucius gave him his niece to wife.[6] Chi K!aang asked which of the disciples loved learning Confucius answered: !°Yen Hui3 loved learning. By ill luck his life was cut short. Now there is no one.!
[7] When Yen Y¨1an died, Yen Lu4 asked for the Master!ˉs chariot to furnish an outer coffin5 died he had an The Master said: !°Whether gifted or not, each one speaks of his son. When Liinner but not an outer coffin. I would not walk on foot to furnish an outer coffin. Following in the wake of the ministry, it would ill become me to walk on foot.!
[8] When Ye Y¨1an died the Master cried: !°Woe is me! I am undone of Heaven! I am undone oHeaven!!
[9] When Yen Y¨1an died the Master gave way to grief Those with him said: !°Sir, ye are giving way. The Master said: !°Am I giving way? If for this man I did not give way to grief, for whom should Igive way?!
[10] When Ye Y¨1an died the disciples wished to bury him in state The Master said: !°This must not be. The disciples buried him in state. The Master said: !°Hui treated me as a father: I have failed to treat him as a son. No, not I: it wasyour doing, my boys.!
[11] Chi-lu 6 asked what is due to the ghosts of the dead. The Master said: !°We fail in our duty to the living; can we do our duty to the dead? He ventured to ask about death. !°We know not life,!± said the Master, !°how can we know death?
[12] Seeing the disciple Min standing at his side in winning strength, Tzu-lu with war-like front, Jan Yu and Tzu-kung fresh and rank, the Master!ˉs heart was glad !°A man like Yu,!7 he said, !°dies before his day.
[13] The men of Lu were building the Long Treasury. Min Tzu-ch!aien said: !°Would not the old one do? Why must a new one be built The Master said: !°That man does not talk: when he speaks, he hits the mark.
[14] The Master said: !°What has the lute of Yu8 to do twanging at my door!! But when the disciples began to look down on Tzu-lu, the Master said: !°Yu has climbed to thehall, though he has not passed the closet door.!
[15] Tzu-kung asked whether Shih 9 or Shang 10 were the better man. The Master said: !°Shih goes too far: Shang goes not far enough. !°Then Shih is the better man,!± said Tzu-kun !°Too far,!± replied the Master, !°is no better than not far enoug
[16] The Chi was richer than the Duke of Chou; Ch!aiu11 added to his wealth by becoming his tax-gatherer. The Master said: !°He is no disciple of mine. Sound your drums to the attack, my boys!
[17] Ch!aai12 is simple, Shen 13 is dull, Shih 14 is smooth, Yu 15 is coarse.
[18] The Master said: !°Hui16 is well-nigh faultless, and ofttimes empty. Tz!au17 will not bow to fate, and hoards up substance; but his views are often sound.!
[19] Tzu-chang asked, What is the way of a good man? The Master said: !°He does not tread in footprints; neither can he gain the closet.
[20] The Master said: !°Commend a man for plain speaking: he may prove a gentleman, or else butseeming honest.!
[21] Tzu-lu asked: !°Shall I do all I am taught? The Master said: !°Whilst thy father and elder brothers live, how canst thou do all thou art taught? Jan Yu asked: !°Shall I do all I am taught? The Master said: !°Do all thou art taught.18 asked, !(R)Shall I do all I am taught?!ˉ and ye spake, Sir, of father an Kung-hsi Hua said: !°Yu19 asked, !(R)Shall I do all I am taught?!ˉ and ye answered, !(R)Do all thou aelder brothers. Ch!aiutaught.!ˉ I am puzzled, and make bold to ask you, Sir. The Master said: !°Ch!aiu is bashful, so I egged him on: Yu has the pluck of two, so I held hiback.!
[22] When fear beset the Master in K!auang, Yen Y¨1an fell behin The Master said: !°I held thee as dead. He answered: !°Whilst my Master lives durst I brave death?
[23] Chi Tzu-jan 20 asked whether Chung Yu 21 or Jan Ch!aiu22 could be called statesmen.23 and The Master said: !°I thought ye would ask me some riddle, Sir, and your text is Yu24 A minister who does his duty to the king, and withdraws rather than do wrong, is called a Ch!aiu.statesman. As for Yu and Ch!aiu, I should call them tools. !°Who would do one!ˉs bidding then !°Neither would they do your bidding,!± said the Master, !°if bidden slay king or fathe
[24] Tzu-lu had Tzu-kao made governor of Pi. The Master said: !°Thou art undoing a man!ˉs son Tzu-lu said: !°What with the people and the guardian spirits must a man read books to come byknowledge?! The Master said: !°This is why I hate a glib tongue.
[25] The Minister said to Tzu-lu, Tseng Hsi, 25 Jan Yu, and Kung-hsi Hua as they sat beside him: !°Imay be a day older than you, but forget that. Ye are wont to say, !(R)I am unknown.!ˉ Well, had ye name, what would ye do?! Tzu-lu lightly answered: !°Give me charge of a land of a thousand chariots, crushed between greatneighbours, overrun by soldiery and searched by famine, in three years!ˉ time I could put courageinto the people and high purpose.! The Master smiled.26 he said. !°What wouldst thou do, Ch!aiu? He answered: !°Had I charge of sixty or seventy square miles, or from fifty to sixty square miles, inthree years!ˉ time I would give the people plenty. As for courtesy, music, and the like, they wouldwait the rise of a gentleman.!27 !°And what wouldst thou do, Ch!aih? He answered: !°I speak of the things I fain would learn, not of what I can do. At service in theAncestral Temple, or at the Grand Audience, clad in black robe and cap, I fain would fill a small part.! !°And what wouldst thou do, Tien?!28 Tien ceased to play, pushed his still sounding lute aside, rose and answered: !°My choice would beunlike those of the other three.! !°What harm in that?!± said the Master. !°Each but spake his min !°In the last days of spring, all clad for the season, with five or six grown men and six or sevenlads, I would bathe in the Yi, be fanned by the breeze in the Rain God!ˉs glade, and wander homewith song.! The Master sighed and said: !°I hold with Tien. Tseng Hsi stayed after the other three had left, and said: !°What did ye think of what the otherssaid, Sir?! !°Each but spake his mind,!± said the Maste !°Why did ye smile at Yu,29 Sir?! !°Lands are swayed by courtesy, but what he said was not modest. That was why I smiled. !°But did not Ch!aiu, too, speak of a state. !°Where could sixty or seventy square miles be found, or from fifty to sixty, that are not a state? !°And did not Ch!aih, too, speak of a state !°Who but great vassals would there be in the Ancestral Temple, or at the Grand Audience? But ifCh!aih were to play a small part, who could fill a big one?
Note 1. Yen Y¨1an.
Note 2. The verse runs!a
Note 3. Yen Y¨1an.
Note 4. The father of Yen Y¨1an.
Note 5. Confucius!ˉ son.
Note 6. Tzu-lu.
Note 7. Tzu-lu. This prophecy came true. Tzu-lu and Tzu-kao were officers of Wei when troubles arose. Tzu-lu hastened to the help of his master. He met Tzu-kao withdrawing from the danger, and was advised to follow suit. But Tzu-lu refused to desert the man whose pay he drew. He plunged into the fight and was killed.
Note 8. Tzu-lu.
Note 9. The disciple Tzu-chang.
Note 10. The disciple Tzu-hsia.
Note 11. The disciple Jan Yu.
Note 12. The disciple Kao Ch!aai.
Note 13. The disciple Tseng-tzu.
Note 14. The disciple Tzu-chang.
Note 15. Tzu-lu.
Note 16. The disciple Yen Y¨1an.
Note 17. The disciple Tzu-kung.
Note 18. Tzu-lu.
Note 19. Jan Yu.
Note 20. The younger brother of Chi Huan, head of the Chi clan.
Note 21. Tzu-lu. He and Jan Yu had taken office under the Chi.
Note 22. Jan Yu.
Note 23. Tzu-lu. He and Jan Yu had taken office under the Chi.
Note 24. Jan Yu.
Note 25. A disciple: the father of Tseng-tzu.
Note 26. Jan Yu.
Note 27. Kung-hsi Hua.
Note 28. Tseng Hsi.
Note 29. Tzu-lu.

No comments: